Thomas Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (TKI) Programs
WHAT IS THE TKI?
The Thomas-Kilmann Instrument (TKI) is the world's leading assessment of conflict-handling behavior. The TKI identifies twounderlying dimensions of conflict management: assertiveness and cooperativeness. These dimensions define the TKI's five conflict-handling modes: competing, collaborating, compromising, avoiding, and accommodating.
In-house Training Programs
1. Understanding Conflict Styles. Participants will take the Thomas-Kilmann Instrument (TKI) online in advance of this two to three hour workshop. Through lecturettes, examples, interactive exercises, and discussion, participants will learn the dynamics, fundamentals and value of five conflict styles and the impact on their personal and work lives.
2. Managing Conflict. Participants will take the Thomas-Kilmann Instrument (TKI) online in advance of the workshop. Through power-point lecturettes, examples, role plays, and discussion, participants will learn about and practice skills for effective communication, approaches and responses to conflict, and resolving conflict. This is a six-hour workshop, offered in one or two sessions.
Instructor: Beth Brown Ornstein, J.D.
Kilmann Diagnostics Online Courses
Take any of the following online classes, or the package, to learn directly from Dr. Ralph Kilmann, co-author of the Thomas-Kilmann Instrument (TKI), to learn how to use the TKI assessment for dramatically improving how individuals, groups, and organizations manage their conflicts. Dr. Kilmann personally created all the slide presentations and course materials. Because these courses are recorded, you can watch them anytime, anywhere, and at your own pace—on a laptop computer or a mobile device.
When you select one of these classes or the package, you will be taken to our affiliate site to complete purchase.
1. Basic Training in Conflict Management. In this 80-minute recorded course (which includes a 30 page downloadable Course Manual), Dr. Ralph Kilmann explains the underlying dimensions of conflict management: assertiveness and cooperativeness. These dimensions define the TKI's five conflict-handling modes: competing, collaborating, compromising, avoiding, and accommodating. You will also be exposed to three additional dimensions on the TKI Conflict Model: the distributive, the integrative, and the protective dimensions. These extra dimensions provide greater depth and deeper insight into a person's TKI Profile. Finally, Dr. Kilmann provides his interpretation of six very different TKI Profiles to help you learn how to accurately interpret your own as well as other people's TKI results. His analysis of these six TKI Profiles also offers numerous action recommendations on how these individuals can improve their conflict-handling behavior.
2. Group Training in Conflict Management. In this 3-hour recorded course (which includes a 54-page downloadable Course Manual), Dr. Ralph Kilmann explains how to use the TKI assessment for improving how conflict is managed in any group setting ,including work groups, committees, project teams, and virtual teams. To achieve this purpose, Dr. Kilmann recommends that group members purchase two TKI assessments (an option, not a requirement) and then complete each TKI with modified instructions for (1) INSIDE their group and (2) OUTSIDE their group. The results from these two assessments can then be sorted into HIGH and LOW scores that show how conflict modes are being used both INSIDE and OUTSIDE a group. Dr. Kilmann not only shows how to develop these "four-fold" Group TKI Profiles, but also provides guidelines—and examples—for properly interpreting these diagnostic-rich diagrams: to pinpoint exactly how a group can significantly improve its conflict-handling behavior for achieving greater success and satisfaction. Differences between the inside and outside perspective highlight the powerful impact of cultural norms, the reward system, and the leader's behavior on how the group manages its conflicts.
Finally, Dr. Kilmann presents the Conflict Management Matrix, which provides action recommendations with various combinations of (a) transforming systems, (b) developing people, and (3) transferring the conflict management wisdom from one group setting to another.
$275.00 each for 1 to 4 persons; $225.00 each for 5 or more persons (plus optional assessments) - click here to purchase
3. Advanced Training in Conflict Management. In this 8-hour recorded course (including a 132-page downloadable Course Manual), Dr. Ralph Kilmann explains the TKI assessment in greater detail and depth than is possible with the 80-minute BASIC Training course. Dr. Kilmann thoroughly examines how certain enduring psychological traits predispose people to use different modes for resolving conflict. Once you become aware of the connection between your traits and your modes, however, you’ll find it easier to use each conflict-handling mode as needed. You’ll then learn the ten key principles of group process (planning vs. doing, testing assumptions, decomposing the task, process vs. content, conflict-handling modes, and more), which enhance what is covered in the GROUP Training course.
Finally, you’ll learn the five steps—and errors—of problem management (sensing problems, defining problems, deriving solutions, implementing solutions, and evaluating outcomes), which are the ultimate source of all conflicts in organizations. The foregoing principles and practices are then combined into the Problem Management Organization (“PMO”), which enables groups and organizations to resolve their most complex problems and conflicts—efficiently and effectively.
4. TKI Package. In the TKI Package for Conflict Management (including three downloadable manuals), Dr. Ralph Kilmann explains how to make the best use of the Thomas-Kilmann Instrument for individuals, groups, and organizations in a sequence of the three online courses described above: (1) BASIC Training in Conflict Management; (2) GROUP Training in Conflict Management; and (3) ADVANCED Training in Conflict Management. Since GROUP Training recommends that you take the TKI twice, each with modified instructions, The TKI Package also includes your two TKI assessments.
All three online courses will be available on the same private webpage for a period of six months.